Saturday, March 12, 2016

2012 Clos du Val Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Well it's Saturday and ever so close to springtime, after all, we "spring forward" tonight!  So after working in the yard all afternoon, I've decided to relax a bit before having dinner and heading to the theater tonight.  So I've opened a bottle that I just picked up from my supermarket this morning, as they were having a 15% off wine sale and I bought a couple bottles of 2012 Clos Du Val Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.


The wine is a deep inky purple at the center with bright ruby along the edges, just as you'd expect from a nice Napa cab.  The nose presents aromas of leather, blackberry and a hint of lilac.  The taste is just wonderful, with a blast of fresh black fruit up front, blackberry, cherry and plum that transition nicely to some mineral notes of basalt and limestone midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat tight, but very supportive of the warm, smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a lovely example of a Napa Cabernet from the stellar 2012 vintage.  It was also a good value as I picked this one up for less than $25 today!  It would pair well with a big steak or a variety of hearty beef dishes, but tonight I am opting for a little surf and turf, with a petit filet mignon grilled rare along with a grilled lobster tail, baked potato and some grilled white asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment