Friday, December 18, 2015

2011 Forgeron Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Friday!  I've been running ragged trying to get all the food ready for my annual Christmas Party tomorrow evening, so I've barely had time to even think about what wines to serve tomorrow let alone what I should open this evening, so I'll make it easy and open a nice Washington red.  Tonight it's the 2011 Forgeron Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon, a limited production wine from a cool vintage.


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose exhibits notes of blackberry, cherry, leather and a hint of eucalyptus.  The taste evokes some lovely flavors of cherry cola up front that evolves into some lovely mineral notes of dusty limestone, smoke and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish is quite nice, as the sturdy tannins provide a nice foundation for the long, smooth, and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a great example of a fine Washington Cabernet.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic pairing of a rare grilled Angus New York Strip, baked potato and grilled asparagus.  It might pair well with a variety of hearty winter dishes, but to me, this wine just begs to be served with a nice steak.  Salut!

No comments:

Post a Comment