Saturday, April 25, 2015

2010 Helix Columbia Valley Sangiovese

Happy Saturday!  It's been raining here all day, so I decided to get some errands done since yard work is out of the question.  I went to Costco, then to Meijer, then to Martin's my local market where I get most everything, and what would you know they had fresh Morel mushrooms on sale, so how could I resist buying 3/8 of a pound (it doesn't sound like a lot, but it's a lot!).  And now I've decided to open a bottle of wine to help clear my head as I contemplate what interesting Morel recipe I should try, and what better wine than the 2010 Helix Columbia Valley Sangiovese, from the Stillwater Creek Vineyard.  Helix is the second label be Reininger, one of my favorite Washington producers of this varietal.


The wine is a lovely rich garnet color in the glass, with great clarity.  The nose exhibits beautiful aromas of leather, oak, tar and black pepper spice, just as you would expect from a great Sangiovese.  The taste is lovely, with a mild bit of fruit up front, black raspberry and cassis that melds into some earth and floral notes, edging toward some nice peppery spice midpalate amid some dark chocolate and mocha notes.  The tannins are well developed, providing a velvety mouthfeel and mild acidity supporting a long, exceptionally dry finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's a nice wine and drinking well now, but I really do prefer the 2009 vintage which I reviewed here.  Tonight as I ponder the coming Morel madness, I am enjoying this wine with some Monterey kabobs, with sirloin, peppers, red onion and some lovely spicy citrus seasoning, a baked potato and some grilled asparagus.  This wine is so food friendly, it's hard to think of any dish that you couldn't enjoy with it.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment