Friday, July 11, 2014

2009 Helix Sangiovese

Happy Friday!  It's been a long week and I'm still getting everything ready for my first summer cookout tomorrow, so I think I've earned a little break this evening, and what better way to enjoy a break than by opening a bottle of wine?  Tonight it's the 2009 Helix Sangiovese from the Columbia Valley of Washington.  For those unfamiliar, Helix is the second label for Reininger Winery of Walla Walla, so usually a quality bottle.


The color of the wine is a deep, brooding purple at the center leading to some bright ruby along the edges with a bit of opacity.  The nose is a very rustic combination of ripe black fruit, plums, black cherry and black currant, over earthy aromas of leather, green grass and a bit of forest floor.  The taste is wonderfully fruit forward, with a blast of black cherry and currant that subsides rather effortlessly to some warm spice notes midpalate.  The finish is somewhat smoky and earthy as the fine tannins provide ample structure for the long, smooth, dry finish that leaves me wanting another sip.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a wonderful example of Sangiovese at a reasonable price (I think this was about $25, though I don't recall exactly).  It would pair nicely with a variety of hearty pasta or meat dishes, but tonight I am going in a different direction, enjoying this one with some kielbasa and pierogies, an Italian varietal with Polish food!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment