Saturday, January 31, 2015

2012 Columbia Winery Merlot

Here we are, my last blog post before the big game!  And since I am hoping for a Seattle win, it only makes sense that my posts leading up to the game have focused on Washington wines, and tonight is no exception.  Tonight I am opening a 2012 Columbia Winery Merlot, a blend of Merlot (85%), Syrah (10%), Cabernet Sauvignon and other varietals (5%).  I recently found this wine at my local supermarket on sale for $12 so I decided to give it a try.


The wine is a bright ruby in the glass with very nice clarity.  The nose presents some light floral notes of lavender over some black fruit notes of cherry and plum.  The taste is a nice combination of black fruit that transitions easily to some mineral notes of graphite and toasted oak midpalate.  The tannins are quite fine, lending to a long, smooth dry finish,

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's a pleasant example of the varietal at very good value for just $12, one that could easily become an everyday wine.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty meat or Italian dishes, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Angus ribeye along with a baked potato with butter and sour cream and some steamed cauliflower.  Something always just seems right with Merlot and meat and potatoes.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment