Thursday, January 2, 2014

2011 Ca' Momi Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

So, this afternoon I was talking to some friends at work and they were complaining to me about how my Facebook posts with photos of my dinners was making them hungry, (really? I can't say I was heartbroken for them).  So tonight I decided to make a simple pasta dinner that almost anyone could replicate in an effort to boost their culinary egos!  So I made some bucatini (if you don't have that try linguine) with some Italian sausage and Trader Joe's Arrabiata sauce (if there isn't a Trader Joe's near you Barilla makes a nice version as does Classico with their spicy tomato and basil) along with an arugula salad (they have bunch arugula at the local market for $1.69) tossed with EVO and balsamic.  So of course with a simple meal full of flavor you need a nice wine, like the 2011 Ca' Momi Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. 

The wine is a deep purple in the glass, typical of a nice NV Cabernet. The nose is spectacular, with rich dark fruit, blackberries, cassis and plum over a rich base of leather and Asian spice. The taste is lovely, with a quick blast of fruit followed by some earthy notes of green herbs, leather, cedar and forest floor. The tannins are nicely structured leading to a very long, lush and dry finish. 


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it has a taste and structure of a wine costing twice as much, as I found this at a local wine store for only $21!  The wine matches perfectly with the Italian meal with the dryness, structure and fruit as the perfect foil to the spice in my dinner.  Tutti a tavola a mangiare!

No comments:

Post a Comment