Saturday, January 4, 2014

2000 Tenuta Greppone Mazzi Brunello di Montalcino

Well, it's the first "Cellar Saturday" of 2014 and tonight we are going back 14 years to a wonderful wine from Tuscany, the king of Italian wines, the 2000 Tenuta Greppone Mazzi Brunello do Montalcino! This particular wine hasn't been in my cellar very long, as I bought it from my new local wine merchant a month or two ago. And as an added bonus, today I bought a new aerator and decantor set that I got to try out on this wine!

The wine is a lovely ruby color in the glass with a tinge of brown around the edges, as is typical of mature Brunello. The nose is a lovely combination of floral notes, lavender, and spice along with rich leather and black licorice so typical of a nice Brunello. The taste brings me right back to Florence, with great fruit flavors up front, blackberry, currant and cherry cola that transitions to some lovely mineral notes of dusty limestone and a sweetness that goes beyond the fruit. The tannins are elegant and well structured leading to a long, smooth dry finish. 


Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5 as it's simply delicious and although it was $51 it wasn't much more that a newly released Brunello, but it's ready to drink today!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with my own version of Bistecca Florentine, with a big cowboy cut ribeye grilled rare along with some asparagus, leeks and Brussels sprouts grilled in olive oil and a simple arugula salad. So yummy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment