Thursday, May 16, 2013

2006 Andaluna Celebracion Reserve

It's been a busy week, but tonight I am opening up a bottle of wine from Mendoza, Argentina, the 2006 Andeluna Celebracion Reserve, a wine that's a blend of grapes grown in the foothills of the Andes, specifically 60% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot.  Today isn't a particularly strong food day, but I'll freely admit to needing a glass of wine to unwind tonight!


The wine is a deep, inky purple in the glass, and the nose is a very complex blend of black fruit at first, but then as the air takes hold, notes of dried herbs, some mineral notes, which evolve into a combination of leather and pipe tobacco that reminds me of an old school smoking lounge. The taste is very fruit forward, with rich flavors of ripe cherry, plum and black currant that transitions effortlessly to some earthy mineral notes of limestone and smoke midpalate.  The tannins are mellow and sweet, giving this wine a long, supple finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a very pleasant drinking wine.  I could see myself relaxing on the patio and sipping this wine for an hour or two, come to think of it, I might just do that now!  As for pairings, this would be ideal with a nice steak, roast beef, or some hearty spicy foods, maybe some chimichurri (there's some irony for an Argentine wine, eh?), or even some grilled salmon.  But tonight I am enjoying this one with the most classic of Midwest American dishes, tuna casserole!  So here's to the weekend, may it come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment