Sunday, April 7, 2013

2005 Clos du Val Napa Valley Merlot

It's a lazy Sunday afternoon, and I just got back from the gym, so it's time to do a load of laundry and relax with a glass of wine.  Seems like a Merlot sort of day, so why not open a bottle of 2005 Clos du Val Napa Valley Merlot?  This one is a little more than your average Merlot, as it's a blend of Merlot (83%), Cabernet Franc (11%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (6%), so it's really more of a Bordeaux style blend, and from the nose, it's certainly reminiscent of many quality blends from Bordeaux.


The nose on this wine is very interesting, with some black fruit aromas up front, blackberries, plum, and a good bit of spice, all wrapped in some wonderful earthy aromas (for my friends who like that "barnyard" quality, this one has it in spades!).  The taste has some lovely fruit up front that effortlessly transitions to dried herbs, anise and a bit of oak, the nicely structured tannins lend great support to a long, smooth and earthy finish.  This wine is remarkable, in that despite it's label, it just takes me back to Paris, sipping a nice Margaux at a sidewalk cafe on Avenue Kleber, where we stayed in 1995.

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 9, especially given that I found it for a bargain price of only $17!  I'm just sorry I only picked up one bottle!  This afternoon, I am enjoying this wine with a small snack of olives and some grilled veggies as I think of what to make for dinner this evening.  It would pair very nicely with a grilled steak, or some wonderful game or even some wonderfully seasoned cedar planked salmon.  Salut!




No comments:

Post a Comment