Wednesday, February 6, 2013

2009 Concannon Central Coast Petite Sirah

I am just exhausted!  I've been so busy with work and various other fun projects I haven't had time to even sit back and enjoy a bottle of wine.  Even tonight, it's past 8:00 and I just got home from the gym, need to make dinner and review this wine!  But at least there's wine, and tonight it's a bottle of 2009 Concannon Central Coast Petite Sirah.  I've had this wine before, but it's been a few years, and I can't recall the previous vintage, but I do recall that I liked it quite a bit.  And of course the fun thing about a petite sirah is that it's neither petite nor syrah, but rather it's a bigger, bolder wine made from the Durif grape.


This wine is a lovely deep purple in the glass, and presents a nose of tart cherry fruit, cut grass, and hints of leather and dark chocolate.  The taste is marvelously fruit forward, with dark fruit flavors and just a bit of tartness giving way to some richness of ripe plum, and earthy spice midpalate.  The finish is quite dry, with very smooth tannins supporting a very modest finish.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's a very good example of a petite sirah, and it was a real bargain at just $7 from Trader Joe's!  Tonight I am pairing this wine with a mission style burrito, with grilled steak, onions and peppers, as I just think this type of wine really complements the spice and smokiness of Mexican food.  So if you have the chance, stop by Trader Joe's an pick up a bottle for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment