Saturday, March 26, 2011

2007 Snoqualmie Whistle Stop Red

Happy wine day!!!

So today was one of those weird but good days, with a whole lot going on!  I started early this morning helping an older lady from church to move, and since there were so many of us it look a lot less time than I expected, not bad.  Then I had to stop by Russo's in Grand Rapids to pick up a case of Sangiovese that I had put aside for my office wine club (less than $7 per bottle!  they will love that!), but when I got there, the wine guy got my order and there was a problem and a surprise. The problem was that when I e-mailed them to put aside a case of the Sangiovese, they mistakenly put aside a case of the Malbec they were also offering in the same e-mail (oh, let me tell you I am NOT a fan of Malbec!).  No problem, they had plenty of the wine I wanted so we just swapped out cases.  But at the same time, the wine guy brought out 3 more bottles, and said, "this has been sitting back there with your name on it for a couple months, would you like to pick this up too?"  Well he showed me 3 bottles of a wonderful 2005 Margeaux that I had reserved months ago, but I had already picked up!  I told him I already picked it up, but if they had 3 more I would be happy to take them off his hands!  So a hidden surprise treasure, a nice margeaux from the super 2005 vintage that I got to buy more of when I thought it was completely sold out!  I love surprises!

Ok, so then I went back home, put the wine away (and yet, my closet cellar is over capacity now, so I really must start drinking and blogging, in case you haven't noticed), so after getting some work done this afternoon, I finally had a chance to celebrate Washington Wine Month and opened the 2007 Snoqualmie Whistle Stop Red I bought a week or so ago!  Well if you're just getting to know me, I just love trains, and I volunteered on the crew of the Spokane, Portland and Seattle #700 locomotive when I lived out in the Northwest, just to show you how committed I am (or maybe that should say "should be committed"!).  For those of you who are not familiar with train trivia, a whistle stop is a stop between main stops/stations on a train line, where the train does not always stop, but sort of stops whenever someone needs to catch the train.  Far more common in rural locations, but a fun bit of trivia nonetheless.  So this wine combines two of my loves, wine (duh) and trains!  The bottle has a wonderful image of a crossing signal too:


The wine itself is a wonderful example of a nice Washington red table wine, nothing fancy, but a nice easy drinking red.  I am enjoying a glass as I type this, with a couple pieces of aged parmesan and asiago cheese (whoever thought of combining wine and cheese is a super genius!). The wine itself has a nice dark purple color, but it's not opaque, and a nice aroma of leather and cherries.  The taste is very dry, like so many of the high-quality reds coming from the Columbia Valley in Washington, and it paired so well with the cheese, I could spend all evening doing this!  But alas, I have a friend celebrating a birthday today, so we are off to dinner downtown.  Overall, this is a solid red table wine, nothing too outrageous, but considering I bought this bottle for less than $10, it is an outstanding value!  Overall, I would rate this one a 7.5, and will be heading back to Grand Central Market (ohhh, just caught the train connection there!) to get some more!

No comments:

Post a Comment