Sunday, December 17, 2023

2019 DaMa Walla Walla Cabernet Franc

Happy Sunday!  I was in full holiday mode today, watching Christmas movies while writing out cards and wrapping presents, and now it's time to wind down with a little dinner and a nice bottle of wine.  Tonight, I've opened a bottle of  2019 DaMa Wines Walla Walla Cabernet Franc.  This wine is a 100% Cabernet Franc from the XL Vineyard in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  I know some of the best Syrah I've tasted came from XL, so hopefully it does as well with Cabernet Franc!

2019 DaMa Walla Walla Cabernet Franc

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, dark at the center, just as you'd expect. A gentle swirl reveals aromas of Italian herbs, with some spicy pepper and a hint of oregano amid rich notes of ripe black plum.  Take a sip and you're greeted with a rush of black fruit, plum, raspberry and cherry, with an undertone of tawny port, that easily transition to some mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated, providing for a velvety mouthfeel as you ease into the long, smooth dry finish with a bit of mocha at the end.

Pan seared sockeye filet with linguine sautéed in garlic and olive oil and tossed with asparagus and broccoli rabe

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's one of the better examples of a pure Cabernet Franc that I've tastes.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from steak to lamb, hearty pasta to shepherds pie.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a taste of the Pacific Northwest, as my local market had fresh sockeye salmon on sale, so I've enjoying this wine with a pan seared sockeye filet along with some linguine sautéed in garlic and olive oil and tossed with asparagus and broccoli rabe.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment