Saturday, June 17, 2023

2018 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  I am a bit worn out as I was rushing around with errands this morning, followed by a graduation party this afternoon, so I am ready to relax with dinner and a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2018 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon, and I realized I've already reviewed the 2019 vintage, but what the heck, I can go out of order once in a while right?  This wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (80%), Merlot (10%), Petite Verdot (7%) and Syrah (3%) from the Champoux, Woodward Canyon Estate Weinbau and Sagemoor Vineyards in Washington.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2018 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center with bright garnet around the edges.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of ripe blackberry, graphite, oak and cassis, just as you'd expect from a quality cabernet.  Take a sip and you're greeted with a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and plum that ease into some notes of tobacco, dark chocolate and spicy pepper notes midpalate.  The tannins are well integrated providing for one to the longest finishes I've experienced in a Washington Cabernet.

Rare grilled prime cowboy bone-in ribeye with fresh grilled asparagus

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5, as it's drinking expertly now, but should improve even more with a few years in the cellar.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty dishes, from risotto and pasta, to smoked beef brisket and traditional barbecue.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime cowboy bone-in ribeye along with some fresh grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment