Saturday, March 11, 2023

2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  It's been a while since I've had a weekend all to myself, and so this weekend I'm celebrating with some wine and food!  So, tonight I've opened a bottle that came from a recent wine club shipment from one of my favorite wineries, Seven Hills.  I have enjoyed a few bottles already, but here is my blog debut of the 2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon.  This wine is a classic Walla Walla Cabernet from the McClellan Estate Vineyard, which is adjacent to the Seven Hills Vineyard.  So, let's see how this wine is shaping up!

2020 Seven Hills McClellan Estate Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is an inky black at the center, with bright ruby along the edges as you might expect from a classic Cabernet.   A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of leather, anise, and classic dried spice and oak that brings me back to tastings in the barrel room at the winery.  Take a sip and you're treated to a rush of ripe black fruit, blackberry, cherry and currant that transition to some earthy notes of tar, pipe tobacco and dusty loam midpalate.  The tannins are perfectly structured to provide a long, smooth dry finish that will leave you reaching for another sip.

Cowboy ribeye grilled Pittsburgh rare, with blistered cherry tomatoes and grilled white asparagus with bacon

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a classic example of a great Walla Walla Cabernet.  This wine would pair well with a range of dishes, from rare grilled filet mignon, to hearty pasta dishes to a summer barbecue.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a great cowboy ribeye (that I bought at my local market today) grilled Pittsburgh rare, with blistered cherry tomatoes and grilled white asparagus with bacon.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment