Saturday, November 26, 2022

2016 Otis Kenyon Walla Walla Valley Merlot

Happy Saturday!  So far on this long holiday weekend, I've had a chance to put together a piece of furniture (one more to go tomorrow hopefully!), put up all the outdoor Christmas decorations, make a dent in my Christmas shopping (I think all the kids are taken care of now) and finish my grocery shopping, so I feel like I've accomplished something, but there is always more to do.  So, in taking a break, I've decided to open a bottle I recently picked up at Total Wines when I was in Grand Rapids a few weeks ago.  The 2016 Otis Kenyon Merlot, is a classically styled Walla Walla Merlot that has become a favorite of mine.  So, let's see how this vintage is tasting!

2016 Otis Kenyon Walla Walla Valley Merlot

The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, just as you'd expect from a nice Merlot.  A gentle swirl of the glass reveals aromas of leather, black cherry, currant and blackberry, with just a hint of mint underneath.  It's the type of nose that brings you back to many of the barrel rooms I've visited in Walla Walla over the years.  Take a sip and you're awash with an unexpected rush of tart cherry, tarragon and roast venison that transition easily to some earthy mineral notes of dusty limestone and basalt midpalate.  The tannins are well structured, providing a magnificent base for the long, smooth dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Rare grilled prime ribcap, big baked potato with sour cream and scallions, and oven roasted leeks and Brussels sprouts

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just a terrific example of the sort of Merlot that Walla Walla is capable of producing.  This wine would pair well with a variety of pasta, game such as venison or elk, classic mushroom risotto or a big honkin' steak.  Naturally, I've chosen the latter and am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime ribcap, big baked potato with sour cream and scallions, and oven roasted leeks and Brussels sprouts.  Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment