Saturday, August 20, 2022

2017 Seven Hills Summit View Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  Today has been a mixed bag of weather, so rather then working out in the yard, I spend some time running errands and cooking!  The weather held out, so I suppose I could have done work in the yard, but there's no sense in crying over spilled grass clippings.  So, tonight I've opened a bottle of a perennial favorite, the Seven Hills Summit View Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon which is a single varietal wine from Clone 191 grown at this vineyard, in this case the 2017 vintage of which I was able to snag a few bottle recently thanks to my friends at Seven Hills.  So, let's see how this wine is tasting!

2017 Seven Hills Summit View Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a classic deep ruby color as you would expect for a quality Cabernet.  A gentle swirl in the glass reveals aromas of leather, blackberry, cherry and currant with undertones of black pepper spice and green grass.  Take a sip and you're greeted by a rush of ripe black fruit intermingled with rustic dried herbs, and earthy notes of peat and basalt that create a real sense of place in the Walla Walla Valley.  The tannins are wonderfully structured, providing a solid backbone for a long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish that lingers on the palate.

Rare bone-in ribeye, roasted hatch chilis and caprese burrata pasta!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, which I think is about the average rating for every vintage of Summit View Cabernet as it's just always a great wine to sip.  This wine would pair well with a broad range of hearty dishes, from summer barbecue, burgers and brats, to prime steaks and chops.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic steak and a new dish that I learned from Don't Go Bacon My Heart on Instagram, Caprese burrata pasta (you can find the recipe here) which is rich, zesty and fun, as well as some roast hatch chilis, because I can!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment