Sunday, January 23, 2022

2018 Alamos Selección Malbec

Happy Sunday!  As another weekend comes to a rapid close, I've decided to have a nice bottle of Malbec with my Sunday dinner.  Tonight I've opened a bottle that I just picked up from my local market yesterday as it was on sale, and bargain hunter that I am, how could I resist?  The 2018 Alamos Selección Malbec made with grapes selected from vineyards in the higher elevations of the Uco Valley in Mendoza, Argentina.  I've become a much bigger fan of Malbec over the years, so let's see how this one is tasting!

2018 Alamos Selección Malbec

The wine is a deep, inky purple at the center, with bright garnet along the edges, just as you might expect from a nice Malbec.  A gentle swirl in the glass releases aromas of vanilla, blackberry, green grass and modest floral undertones.  The first sip reveals a surprising shift from those sweeter aromas to a rush of tart cherry, plum and black currant that transitions easily to some notes of dusty limestone and peppery spice midpalate.  The tannins are a bit tight, but ideal for the long and exceptionally dry finish that lingers for a minute or more.

Rare grilled New York strip along with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and garlic mashed potatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a very pleasant drinking Malbec and could be an everyday wine at the value price of just $15 at my local market.  This wine practically begs to be paired by a gaucho slicing whatever great beef he has grilled, from picanha to ribeye, filet to beef ribs.  Tonight I am taking that traditional route with a rare grilled New York strip along with some bacon roasted Brussels sprouts and garlic mashed potatoes.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment