Sunday, October 10, 2021

2015 Reininger Cima

Happy Sunday!  This afternoon just got away from me, as I think I was a bit too ambitious on yard work and cooking, as I decided to vacuum leaves and mow, while deciding to make eggplant parmesan for dinner, which is neither quick nor easy!  But at this point it's worked out (though I have to taste my concoction to determine if my first solo effort at this dish turned out well, as the last time I made this was in grad school 22 years ago and my friend did most of the work!).  Since my dinner is nominally Italian, I thought, why not have a wonderful super-Tuscan style blend from one of my favorite winemakers?  I just received the 2015 Reininger Cima in my fall wine club shipment, which is a blend of Sangiovese (50%), Cabernet Sauvignon (22%), Merlot (22%), Malbec (3%) and Petit Verdot (3%) from the Pepper Bridge, Seven Hills and XL Vineyards in the Walla Walla AVA of Washington.  What makes this wine really special, is that it's aged in barrel for six years before bottling, so let's see how this latest vintage is tasting!

2015 Reininger Cima

The wine is a deep ruby color in the glass, a credit to the Bordeaux varietals in the blend.   A swirl in the glass releases aromas of leather, blackberry, fig and spice box that are reminiscent of Italy.  The taste is a rush of blackberry, black cherry, and currant that transition well to some notes of cedar and peppery spice midpalate.  The rounded tannins are an ideal base for the wonderfully long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish that easily convinces you to take another sip.

Eggplant Parmesan!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's another terrific effort from Chuck and the crew to bring innovative, creative and wonderfully drinkable wines.  This wine would pair well with a variety of hearty fall dishes, from beef stew to classic Italian dishes, pastas to Tuscan toast.  As I alluded earlier, tonight I am enjoying this wine with my first solo effort at eggplant parmesan, as I bought some eggplant at the farmers market yesterday and needed to do something with them!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment