Saturday, February 27, 2021

2015 Raymond Vineyards Atlas Peak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Have you ever had one of those days where you regret getting out of bed in the morning?  Well, that was today!  After all of the snow this winter, it's formed into a bit of a glacier on the flat roof of my garage, so of course it started leaking today and then I was up on the roof trying to chip off three-inch thick ice while trying not to damage the roof even further.  To make matter worse, as soon as I got up on the roof, I knocked the ladder off, fortunately my neighbor was home and could come rescue me.  So at least things are looking up now, as I have theatre tickets tonight and I've opened a bottle of wine.  Fair warning, I am on a bit of a Raymond Vineyards kick, so expect a few as I've ordered four different ones from Wines Till Sold Out (including this one) and I just found another interesting one at my local wine store today.  So, tonight it's the 2015 Raymond Vineyards Atlas Peak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, part of their District Collection.  So, let's see how this wine tastes!

2015 Raymond Vineyards Atlas Peak Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

The wine is a deep, ruby color in the glass that seems to call you to take a sip.  Swirl a bit in the glass and you're greeted with luxurious aromas of leather, blackberry and cassis.  On your first sip you embark on journey though a forest of wild blackberry and black cherry before traveling on to some rich vanilla, caramel and hints of spice.  The tannins are smooth and well integrated, providing for a wonderfully, long, velvety dry finish.

Grilled lamb loin chops topped with olive and red wine reduction, grilled asparagus and oven roasted Yukon gold potatoes

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it punches above its weight class for just $43.  This wine practically begs to be paired with a big grilled steak, but would also pair well with lamb, hearty pasta dishes or even a quality barbecue.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with some grilled lamb loin chops topped with an olive and red wine reduction, along with some oven roasted Yukon gold potatoes and some grilled asparagus.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment