Saturday, May 4, 2019

2006 Belpoggio Brunello di Montalcino

Well it's the first Saturday in May and that means it's Cellar Saturday, that magical time when I reach back into the cellar to find some wine that's at least a decade from it's original vintage and tonight I have one that just came together with my dinner tonight.  I am a big fan of great Italian wines, and of course the granddad of them all is Brunello, that carefully crafted Sangiovese that works it's magic with almost any traditional Italian cuisine.  And since I maintain that a nice Brunello really doesn't start to sing until it's at least a decade old, I've decided to open a bottle of 2006 Belpoggio Brunello di Montalcino.  Now I let this one decant for about 90 minutes, so let's see how it's tasting!


The wine is a wonderful garnet color in the glass with a tinge of amber along the edges.  The nose is classic Brunello, with aromas of anise, blackberry, spice box and some earthy notes.  The taste is remarkably fruit forward, with a rush of candied cherry, strawberry and a hint of thyme, but then it seems to be a bit tired midpalate, as it transitions to some earthy mineral notes of tar and peat.  The tannins are soft but well integrated, making for a long, soft dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's wonderfully developed, but the weakness midpalate was a drawback.  This wine would pair with any classic Italian dish, from Bistecca alla Fiorentina to classic pasta with hearty red sauces.  Tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a dinner that started with a trip to Eataly in Chicago last Monday, where I picked up some fresh squid ink tagliatelle, which I am tossing with some mussels simmered in olive oil, garlic, San Marzano tomatoes, oregano and basil.  The classic briny seafood mixture is just perfect with this earthy wine.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment