Sunday, April 7, 2019

2015 Charles Krug Napa Valley Merlot

I have been a fan of Charles Krug since my first visit to Napa Valley on the wine train a few years ago.  They were one of the wineries we visited and I was impressed with their facility, tasting room and history, but was most impressed by the quality and value represented by their wines. You can routinely find their Napa Valley Merlot for less than $20, I bought this bottle at Costco for $17 and thought it was a no brainer for a fan of the winery and varietal like me.  So let's see how it tastes!


The wine is a classic inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents earthy aromas of leather, smoke and a hint of mint that suggest subdued elegance.  The taste is a rush of cherry cola, blackberry and blueberry that transitions to some notes of pipe tobacco and dark chocolate midpalate.  The tannins are well structured and integrated, creating a wonderful backdrop for the long, voluptuous finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's just a solid, food friendly Merlot at a terrific price that will have you choosing this as an everyday wine.  This wine would pair well with a variety of casual dinners, from burgers and steaks to pizza and barbecue, but tonight I've gone a bit high end.  I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled prime filet mignon, grilled asparagus and a big old baked potato with sour cream and scallions.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment