Tuesday, May 29, 2018

2015 Kivelstadt Cellars Father's Watch Red Blend

Tonight has been a remarkably warm evening, and since I just got back from the gym, I feel as though I need a glass of wine and a nice dinner.  For the wine, I've decided to open a bottle of 2015 Kivelstadt Cellars Father's Watch Red Blend, a blend of Syrah (35%), Carignan (30%), Grenache (35%) and Mourvedre (10%) from the North Coast of California.  Given that I'm having a little Asian inspired seafood for dinner, I thought a lighter red blend might be appropriate, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, with great clarity.  The nose is a wonderful combination of spring floral aromas intermingled with ripe cherry and plum over some mild note of fresh cut grass.  The taste is a rush of tart cherry and blackberry that transitions easily to come earthy mineral and notes of peat midpalate.  The finish is quite dry, with rather tight tannins that seem to cut the finish a bit short.


Overall, I would rare this wine a solid 7.5, as it's pleasant drinking and food friendly, but it somewhat lacks that wow factor.  This wine would pair well with a variety of Mediterranean dishes, seafood or even summer fare of barbecue or hamburgers.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a sesame crusted Ahi tuna filet along with sauteed baby bok choy and steamed jasmine rice.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment