Tuesday, April 26, 2016

2013 Le Grand Noir Cabernet Sauvignon

Ahhh...taco Tuesday, and what shall I drink?  Wine of  course, and I was thinking of a nice rose to preview for summer, but the weather has taken a turn toward the chilly, so I've decided to hold off and instead, tonight it's a bit of a bargain wine that I picked up a couple weeks ago at one of my favorite Grand Rapids wine and food retailers, G. B. Russo & Sons!  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2013 Le Grand Noir Cabernet Sauvignon, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%) and Syrah (15%) from France.


The wine looks like a classic Cabernet, with deep ruby color and nice clarity.  The nose presents lovely aromas of blackberry and cassis and a hint of green grass and tar over the top.  The taste is actually quite nice for a young Cabernet, with a rush of ripe fruit up front, raspberries, black cherry and plum with a nice transition to some Asian spice and mineral notes of basalt and limestone midpalate.  The tannins are young and vibrant, providing for a very smooth, long and bone dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it's still young but drinking very nicely.  It was also a great bargain at just $10, which would make this an ideal, everyday wine that would pair well with grilled steaks, roasted meats and tacos!  Yes, tonight I am celebrating taco Tuesday with some chorizo tacos with fresh salsa verde and this wine is a great match.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment