Sunday, October 26, 2014

2012 Woodward Canyon Barbera

About a decade or so ago, I stopped at Woodward Canyon in Walla Walla and tried some of their wonderful Barbera, and I must admit I've been a fan ever since.  So tonight I am going to treat myself and open a bottle of the most recent vintage, the 2012 Woodward Canyon Estate Barbera from Walla Walla!


The wine is a deep inky purple in the glass with some brighter ruby along the edges.  The nose is an adventure in decadent aromas, raspberry, blackberry and cassis along with a good bit of leather, graphite and forest floor.  The taste is just a treat, with a blast of ripe fruit at the outset, ripe berries, plum and raisin that reminds you a bit of a nice Amarone.  The fruit transitions flawlessly to some wonderfully spicy notes of white pepper, vanilla and dark chocolate midpalate.  The finish, is smooth, dry and voluptuous, as the smooth tannins are integrated seamlessly, creating a wine that's a pleasure to drink from the first sip to the last glass.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a great example of the varietal and one of my personal favorites.  At a price of $29 from the winery, it's worth every penny in my opinion.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rather unusual dinner for a northern Italian varietal, medium rare grilled London broil, with some cheesy potatoes and steamed asparagus, as the fruit and acidity are perfect with what can be a tougher cut of beef.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment