Sunday, July 7, 2013

2012 Mark Ryan "The Vincent" Rose

So as some of you know, though I am not a white wine drinker per se, I've come to appreciate the more chilling aspects of white wine in the summer months, hence my more recent fondness for rose wines - great blends of traditionally red wine grapes to provide a refreshing summer respite without the sweetness that can be so common among white wines.  With a wonderful sunny, summer afternoon developing, and after the wonderful dinner I had paired with a rose last night, I've decided to open another rose that I picked up last week in Walla Walla, the 2012 Mark Ryan "The Vincent" rose, from his very affordable second label, Board Track Racer.  Another interesting note about this wine is that although I bought this at Mark Ryan's new tasting room on Main Street in Walla Walla, the winery is based out of Woodinville, the new hot area for Washington Wine (leave it to me to stick with a wine region after all the cool kids leave!).


The wine itself is a blend of Grenache, Syrah and Mourvedre, though I didn't pick up the tasting notes, so I have no idea what the exact percentages are, in any case who wouldn't love a GSM rose?  The nose on this wine is very subdued, with pleasant notes of strawberry and some faint floral and grass notes.  The tastes is quite nice, with a bit of fresh strawberry on the outset that shifts to some nice minerality midpalate.  The finish is very dry with just a hint of pink grapefruit on the mildly acidic finish.  Overall a very refreshing and dry rose that's just perfect for a summer afternoon on the patio.

Overall I would rate this one a solid 8, a very nice rose that I loved in the tasting room and like just as much at home, and it was a good value at just $15.  Today I am pairing this one with a lovely Caprese salad, with some sliced red and brown tomatoes and fresh buffalo mozzarella, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and some 25-year balsamic and topped with a few sprigs of fresh basil from the garden.  The dryness and mild acidity of the wine provide the perfect balance to the sweetness of the aged balsamic and creaminess of the cheese.  What a great afternoon, salut!



No comments:

Post a Comment