Wednesday, August 9, 2017

2009 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Wine Wednesday!  Tonight I have a treat, as I am gearing up for my upcoming vacation to Walla Walla, a bottle that I just happened across this evening, a 2009 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon!  What's not to love about a good Cabernet, especially one from Washington, so let's see what this one has to offer.


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center, with bright garnet along the edges, just as you'd expect for the varietal.  The nose is screams Walla Walla, with notes of leather, earthy peat and a good bit of Bordeaux style funk.  The taste is a rush of blackberry and cherry that transition effortlessly to some cherry cola and dark chocolate notes midpalate.  The tannins are nicely integrated and structured, providing a perfect foundation to the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's exactly what I've come to expect from a high-quality Walla Walla cabernet.  This wine would be perfect with a big steak, a nice prime rib, or a rich Italian meal, but tonight I am enjoying it with a simple dinner of broccoli rabe and garlic scapes sauteed in olive oil and tossed with linguine, a perfect light summer dinner.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment