Wednesday, May 10, 2017

2014 House of Cards Napa Valley Red Wine

Happy Wine Wednesday!  It's been a busy travel week, being in Toronto on Monday and Montreal yesterday, but now I'm home!  I went to the gym after work and now I feel like the entire evening has slipped away, but at least there's wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a recent Costco purchase, the 2014 House of Cards Napa Valley Red Wine, which is so appropriate as lately I feel like my entire life is a house of cards!  So let's see how this one tastes.


The wine is a deep inky purple at the center, more reminiscent of a nice Napa Cabernet as opposed to a blend.  The nose is a pleasant array of leather, smoke, tobacco and dried herbs over some more subtle fruit notes.  The taste is more classic red blend, with some lovely ripe berries at the outset that transition to some wonderful notes of cocoa and Italian spice midpalate.  The finish is very nice, with rather mellow tannins supporting a nice, smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a pleasant drinking everyday table wine and a very good value for just $15!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a simple midweek dinner of Kielbasa with kraut and pierogis, a throwback to my childhood on the south side of Chicago, where every grandma force fed you smoked sausage, cured cabbage and giant pasta pockets every Sunday!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment