Sunday, April 30, 2017

2012 Forgeron Columbia Valley Zinfandel

Happy Sunday!  It finally rained today, my lawn has been in terrible need of rain, and of course that meant I couldn't do many outdoor chores today.  So instead I spend the afternoon doing laundry and picking up around the house, so mostly just relaxing!  And now it's getting to be Sunday supper time, which means it's about time to open a bottle of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2012 Forgeron Columbia Valley Zinfandel, a wine I've had in the cellar for a little while, and since Marie Eve and the folks at Forgeron do such a nice job with Zinfandel and Primativo, I can't wait to try it.


The wine is a lovely deep garnet color in the glass, classic for a nice Zinfandel.  The nose is filled with leather, smoke and an edge of earthiness.  The taste is just perfect, with a rush of ripe black fruit up front, blackberry and plum, with a hint of fig that blankets your palate.  The flavors transition nicely to some rustic mineral notes and hints of mocha and mint midpalate.  The finish is lively, with some spice at the end and wonderfully integrated tannins supporting the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's been a while since I've had a Zinfandel this nice and sophisticated, as opposed to a jammy fruit bomb.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic pairing with Kansas City barbecued baby back ribs, grilled corn on the cob and fresh cole slaw.  Zinfandel is so yummy with barbecue and it just seems like summer has come early.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment