Sunday, January 1, 2017

2013 V. Sattui Entanglement Napa Valley GSM Blend

Happy New Year!  Yes, a beautiful start to 2017, with sun and a high near 40, what could be better?  How about some wine!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2013 V. Sattui Entanglement, a GSM blend that really impressed me when I tried it at the winery a few weeks ago.  This particular wine is a blend of Grenache (67%), Syrah (24%) and Mourvedre (9%), so let's see how this one stacks up!


The wine is a bit darker in color than some similar blends.  The nose is somewhat subdued with a layering of leather, blackberry and some Mediterranean spice notes that really work well together.  The taste is just as I remembered it (which is a feat in itself as this was the last stop on our 4-winery tour!) with a bit of black fruit up front that gives way to some lovely notes of mocha and tobacco midpalate.  The finish is divine, with the firm tannin structure of the Mourvedre providing the foundation for a long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's one of my favorite GSM blends I've tasted.  This wine is bold enough to be enjoyed with big steaks or roasts, but tonight I am enjoying this wine with my New Years dinner of pan seared veal chops, mashed sweet potatoes and oven roasted golden and candystrip beets.  The fruit really accents the flavor of the veal, while the dry finish is a perfect balance to the sweetness of the mash and beets.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Not a fan of V Sattui wines but may have to go back and try this one next visit to Napa.

    ReplyDelete