Sunday, January 15, 2017

2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I must admit, it's been a very relaxing day for me, after church I came home and cleaned up some branches around my yard, then I reconciled my checkbook (I know I'm a wild man!) and then I went to the gym.  Now I've opened a bottle of wine as I get ready to make dinner, and tonight it's the 2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvgnon, a 100% Cabernet from a number of different vineyards in the Walla Walla AVA, so let's see how this one tastes!


The wine is a deep, inky black at the center with bright garnet along the edges.  The nose is a pleasant combination of ripe blackberry and cherry intermingled with some cedar and smoke with just a hint of rose petals lurking in the background.  The taste is rich and vibrant, with a rush of ripe fruit up front that easily subsides to reveal some wonderful notes of dark chocolate and mocha.  The tannins, though young, are well structured and flawlessly integrated to create a long, smooth and perfectly dry finish that leaves you wanting more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's just an exceptional, old school Walla Walla Cabernet that's drinking nicely now, but is sure to improve with some time in the cellar.  I'd be happy to just sip this wine all night, but there is dinner you know, and tonight I'm pairing this with a rare grilled steak, baked potato with all the fixin's, grilled leeks and steamed sugar snap peas.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment