Friday, September 30, 2016

2012 Boyd Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Friday!  I finally made it to the weekend and I just got home from getting new tires for my truck, and it's time to relax with a nice glass of wine.  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine that my boss gave me a month or two ago, and I've been excited to try this one, the 2012 Boyd Cabernet Sauvignon from the Oak Knoll district of Napa Valley.  This one is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Mogambo vineyard.  As Napa is famous for big, bold Cabs, this one should fit the bill quite nicely!


The wine is an inky black at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, cherry and currant over leather and oak, with just a slight floral hint over the top.  The taste is wonderful, with a rising cascade of black fruit, that culminates in some mocha and spicy black pepper notes midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat chewy but an excellent foundation for the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 9, as it's just what you'd expect from a big, bold Napa Cabernet from an outstanding vintage.  This is clearly a red meat wine, which is good since I'm enjoying this one with a rare grilled Angus New York Strip, grilled Brussels sprouts and a big old baked potato.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment