Wednesday, June 8, 2016

2014 Peller Estates Cabernet Merlot

Happy Hump Day!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of wine I bought a month or so ago when I was in Toronto.  I travel on business to Canada once or twice a year and when I fly I usually take Porter Airlines as they fly into the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, which I find very convenient.  On the flights, they serve Canadian wines from the Niagara Penninsula and they have a really nice Cabernet Franc.   So on my last trip I decided to get a bottle of Niagara wine at the duty free shop, the one I've opened tonight, the 2014 Peller Estates Cabernet Merlot, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon,  Cabernet Franc and Merlot.  So here goes nothing!


The wine is a bit light, with a consistency more like a Pinot Noir than a Cabernet or Merlot.  It's also a bit low on alcohol at only 12.8%.  The nose presents aromas of ripe berries and plum, with a hint of oak and candied cherries.  The taste is pleasant, with a rush of jammy fruit up front that transitions to some flavors of oak midpalate.  The tannins are firm providing a nice foundation for the smooth dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7, it is very pleasant for a mid-week wine and it was a nice value at just $13 CDN or about $11 US, but it was a little light for my tastes.  This would be a very nice summer red, as the lighter body is ideal for hotter temperatures.  This wine would pair well with barbecue or a nice simple steak as I'm enjoying tonight, along with some grilled asparagus and a baked potato.  Cheers eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment