Monday, February 8, 2016

2012 Charles Krug Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Oh Mondays...such an abused day of the week!  Well despite all the complaints about Mondays, I am celebrating them tonight by opening a bottle of 2012 Charles Krug Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  I had a great visit to this winery back on my trip to Napa Valley in October of 2015 and I was very impressed with the winery and the wines (you can see that post here), particularly the history as this winery dates back to 1861.  This particular wine is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (90%), Merlot (5%) and Petit Verdot (5%) and as I recall from my tasting at the winery I liked this one!


The color is classic Napa Cabernet, with an inky, almost black color at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is very inviting, with aromas of leather, black plum, black currant and a hint of vanilla.  The taste is a blast of ripe black fruit, blackberry and currant and a hint of cherry cola that transition nicely to some rustic notes of cocoa powder, baking spice and oak midpalate.  The tannins are youthful and elegant, providing for a lovely smooth and long dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as this is a great example of the stellar 2012 Napa vintage, and it was a good value as I found this one on sale at my local market for $23, not including the 10% discount for buying 4 or more bottles!  Tonight I am enjoying this one with a classic pairing of a rare grilled Angus Kansas City bone-in New York Strip, baked potato and steamed broccoli. What a delightful steak wine!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment