Tuesday, January 26, 2016

2014 Forgeron Rose of Sangiovese

Happy Tuesday!  I've been waiting for this night as I had the chance to do a little seafood shopping at Whole Foods last weekend and I chilled a nice bottle of rose just for the occasion.  Yes, I know it's still winter, but a little rose at least reminds me that summer is just around the corner!  And tonight it's a good one I picked up on my trip to Walla Walla last summer, the 2014 Forgeron Rose of Sangiovese, which I know realize includes a preview of their new labeling!  This wine is sold out at the winery, but thankfully I scored a couple bottles last year.


The wine is a lovely peach color in the glass, and the nose evokes aromas of pink grapefruit, basalt and a bit of green cedar.  The taste is just lovely, like a gorgeous summer afternoon in a bottle, with vibrant citrus notes up front that transition seamlessly to flavors of strawberry overlaying some mineral notes midpalate.  The finish is bone dry, perfect for summer drinking but also ideal for some great food pairing with heartier dishes and particularly big seafood dishes.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it's a great summer rose and as I recall was a terrific value under $20.  Tonight I am pairing this wine with some macadamia crusted mahi mahi, mashed red skin potatoes and steamed cauliflower.  A perfect wine for a big fish meal, Sante!

No comments:

Post a Comment