Tuesday, January 5, 2016

2013 Pruet Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Tuesday!  I just got back from the gym and it's about 20 degrees out, so why shouldn't I be grilling a steak?  Of course if I'm going to have a steak, I'll need a nice Cabernet to go with it, and tonight I've opened a bottle of the 2013 Pruet Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon from the Yountville district of Napa Valley!  This wine I recently bought from Wines Till Sold Out and it's our office wine club selection for January so here goes nothing!


The wine is a lovely deep ruby color in the glass with a somewhat inky center.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, cassis, vanilla bean and toasted oak.  The taste is quite nice, with some nice ripe fruit up front, blackberry, currant and plum that transition nicely to some earthy notes of basalt and dried herbs midpalate.  The tannins are young and firm, providing for a long, smooth and very dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's drinking very nicely now, but will no doubt have even more potential with a few years of cellaring, particularly given the strength of the 2013 Napa Valley vintgage.  As mentioned, since I bought this from WTSO, it was also a bargain at just $20.  Tonight I am enjoying this with a rare grilled Angus New York Strip, baked potato with butter and sour cream and steamed broccoli with red peppers.  This wine has the perfect backbone for a nice steak, so enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment