Saturday, January 16, 2016

2009 Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

So I made it home from Florida (have I mentioned I'm not a huge fan?  I know that's surprising, but having been born in winter in Chicago, I really love the cold!) and tonight I've decided to have a nice home cooked dinner.  And wouldn't you know I found an awesome deal on Angus filet so what else could I possible have tonight besides a black pepper bacon wrapped filet mignon?  And since I'm heading to the deep end of the steak pool, I need a wine to stand up to it with grace and poise, which screams Napa Valley Cabernet!  So I've opened a bottle of 2009 Freemark Abbey Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon that I stumbled upon in the cellar (don't you love surprises?).  I reviewed the 2010 vintage last year, which you can see here.


The wine is a classic deep, brooding Napa Cab, with an inky black center leading to some bright ruby along the edges.  The nose is just wonderful, even with the glass two feet away, the aromas are beckoning me to grab the glass and sip!  The nose presents aromas of black plum, blackberry, licorice and oak over a lingering hint of limestone minerality.  The taste is lovely, with a rush of ripe black fruit that envelopes your palate.  The rich berries and plum transitions effortlessly to some lovely mineral notes midpalate.  The tannins are well intergrated and finely structured, providing the classic backbone to a big Cab like this one, along with it's velvety, bone dry finish.


Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, it's not from a great vintage, but it's always amazing how these wines develop with just a few years in the cellar.  As I mentioned, tonight I am enjoying this wine with the steak pictured above, grilled rare along with some grilled maroon carrots, and a big baked potato with butter and sour cream.  I just love big steak night, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment