Friday, September 18, 2015

2013 Predator Old Vine Zinfandel

Happy Friday!  Tonight I'm opting for the lowest maintenance dinner I could find, but what wine to pair with it?  I think I know, so I'm opening a bottle of 2013 Predator Old Vine Zinfandel from Lodi, one of my favorite AVAs for Zinfandel!


The wine is a nice bright ruby color in the glass, with nice clarity.  The nose presents aromas of strawberry, blackberry, smoky bacon and cocoa powder.  The taste is classic Lodi old vine Zinfandel with flavors of ripe fruit up front, blackberry, cassis and cherry that transitions to some lovely notes of smoky oak and black pepper midpalate.  The tannins are somewhat rustic, supporting the long, smooth and smoky finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, it's not a knock your socks off sort of wine, but it's a solid example of the varietal and a solid value at $13!  This was an office wine club selection, and I've had a number of people tell me they taste a lot of bacon in this one, I will admit it's quite smoky, perhaps with some pork in there, but that's what makes a nice Lodi Zinfandel perfect for barbecue!  Alas, my low maintenance dinner tonight isn't barbecue, but pizza!  Again, some folks find it tough to pair a wine with barbecue or pizza, but for me I just reach for a nice Zin!  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment