Saturday, January 24, 2015

2010 Ryan Patrick Vineyards Rock Island Red

So I happened to stop by my local wine store today, just to see if they had anything interesting to buy, and surprise, I found something!  Well, first I found a bottle of 2009 L'Ecole No. 41 Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon for only $39, so I picked that up.  Then I happened upon two other Washington wines from Ryan Patrick vineyards, which is based in Mattawa, Washington, to the northwest of Walla Walla and right in the heart of the Columbia Valley neat the Wahluke Slope.  So I picked up a couple bottles and tonight I've opened the 2010 Ryan Patrick Rock Island Red, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (58%), Malbec (34%) and Syrah (8%).


The color is a nice deep garnet in the glass.  The nose is quite pleasant with notes of ripe, candied fruit, plums and cherries and marionberries, with a hint of cocoa powder and some faint floral notes. The taste is not at all what I expected, rather than a rush of jammy fruit I was hit with some smooth cherry cola and vanilla notes overlaid with just the slighted spice midpalate.  The tannins are round and supple, making for a velvety, smooth dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

Overall I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, it's a solid red blend at a very good price of just $20.  Tonight I am pairing this wine with a lovely prime top sirlion, grilled rare and served with some grilled leeks, Brussels sprouts and baby golden beets atop a bed of baby kale.  The mellow fruit and big flavors of this wine make it a perfect wine for a big grilled steak, but it would be great with a variety of more rustic dishes, or just by itself, which is how I'll enjoy it after dinner!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment