Saturday, January 3, 2015

1999 I Balzini Super Tuscan - Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese

Happy New Year!  Yeah, I know I'm a few days late, but what can you expect from me?  Tonight not only will I make my first blog post of 2015, but it's also "Cellar Saturday" that first Saturday of the month where I raid the cellar and open a bottle that's had some time to mature.  Tonight, that mature bottle is the 1999 I Balzini Super Tuscan blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Sangiovese that I originally bought in a vertical that included the 1997-99 and 2001 from Wines Till Sold Out.


Having let this wine breathe for a couple hours, it's a bright ruby, with some darker color toward the center, and surprising clarity given its age.  The nose is quite pleasant, with some ripe berry, prune and cherry notes up front, than transition to some toasted oak and smoky notes.  The taste is quite nice, with some ripe cherry and cola notes up front, that transition to some notes of plum and dusty limestone midpalate.  The tannins are very well developed, supporting a round, velvety and very dry finish that seems to last a minute or more.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, it's a very pleasant wine that would make a great accompaniment to a variety of heavier, meaty dishes.  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled Angus New York Strip topped with some Stilton, along with a big old baked potato and some fresh steamed Brussels sprouts.  A perfect dinner for such a lovely wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment