Saturday, October 11, 2014

2012 Waterbrook Icon Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon

I cannot even begin to describe how exhausted I am!  I started the day with a nice breakfast, an Asiago and spinach omelette with some bacon and hash browns, then I ran a whole bunch of errands, bank, store, etc. and then I finally got home around 3:00 and decided it would be a good idea to rake the leaves from my yard so I could then mow one last time before the grass stops growing for winter (if that sounds like a ridiculously stupid idea, you are correct!),  Needless to say, I made it to 15,034 steps doing this and now I definitely need a glass of wine!  Tonight I've decided to open a bottle of 2012 Waterbrook Icon Reserve Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.


The wine is a bright ruby color in the glass, a little lighter than I normally expect from a Cabernet.  The nose displays ample black fruit, plum, currant and cassis over a bit of toasted oak and vanilla.  The taste is very nice, with some ripe fruit up front and a bit of jammy sweetness that reminds me more of a Zinfandel than a Cabernet.  Midpalate, the takes transitions to some warm spice and floral notes, while the young, yet smooth tannins support a long, warm, dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, as it's young and not quite up to the level of some other Walla Walla Cabernets, but it was an outstanding value, as I bought this one from Wines Till Sold Out for just $15!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a lovely grilled bone-in ribeye, baked potato and some steamed green beans, a perfect autumn dinner after raking leaves!

No comments:

Post a Comment