Saturday, July 6, 2013

2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Grenache Rose

To today I felt inspired in a number of ways, it was a Saturday meaning that I had loads of errands to run, including to the farmers market and the grocery store (that's a dangerous combo for one who loves food as much as I do) and it's really hot out today!  So heat and humidity in Michigan can mean only one thing, it's time to bust out the rose!  And for tonight's inspired meal it's the 2012 L'Ecole No. 41 Grenache Rose, a perennial favorite!


The wine is a lovely pink grapefruit color, which is appropriate since the nose is a pleasant combination of pink grapefruit, strawberry and hint of floral notes.  The taste starts out with a burst of strawberry and citrus, and then eases into some lovely minerality midpalate, all leading to a lovely, exceptionally dry finish supported by some well structured tannins that I've come to love about this wine.  What a refreshing way to end a sweltering summer afternoon!

Overall, I would rate this one a solid 8, as I think this is probably the best example of the Grenache Rose to date, as our friends at L'Ecole seem to be getting just a bit better with this wine every year!  Plus it's a bargain at only $18, or $16 with my wine club discount, but unfortunately they don't produce enough of this so it's currently sold out (sign up for the mailing list to get an alert for the 2013 vintage next year!).  As for pairings, here's where my inspiration pairs off as I am enjoying this wine with some lovely alder planked Copper River Sockeye salmon with a bit of lemon and fresh dill along with some couscous with toasted pine nuts and some steamed sugar snap peas I picked up at the farmers market this morning.  YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment