Thursday, July 4, 2013

2010 Klinker Brick Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel

Happy Independence Day!  Of course being the traditionalist that I am, the Fourth of July means barbecue, and specifically ribs and what wine goes better with barbecue than a nice Zinfandel, and of course you know I'm convinced that the best Zins come from Lodi!  Hence tonight I am enjoying a bottle of 2010 Klinker Brick Lodi Old Vine Zinfandel.


The wine has a nice deep ruby color and the nose is pure Zinfandel with notes of black cherry, anise and cocoa powder.  The taste is lovely, with some light floral notes amid rich ripe cherry and plum on the outset, transitioning into some nice licorice and baking spice midpalate.  The finish is very smooth and dry, as the soft tannins lend plenty of depth and character to the long, dry finish.  A perfect wine for the holiday!

Overall I would rate this one a solid 8, as it's a nice Lodi Zin at a great price, I picked up this bottle at World Market for only $15!  And of course tonight I am pairing it with great American eats, some barbecued St. Louis spareribs, homemade strawberry coleslaw, red potato salad with dill and corn muffins fresh from the oven.  The richness of this wine pairs well with salads while the anise flavor is the perfect accent to a rich barbecue sauce.  I can't wait to start eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment