Sunday, June 30, 2013

Another excellent day of tasting in Walla Walla!

Well here I am, another day of wine tasting here in Walla Walla, I know it's a tough job, but somebody has to do it! Today I went to a few great wineries to taste their wines in their tasting rooms.

First stop was the Mark Ryan Winery tasting room, which I loved because it was so cool! It was close to 100 degrees today, so walking into a tasting room that was 70 degrees was a breath of fresh air! Now as an aging Gen Xer, the thing I love about Mark Ryan is that his wines are all named after Pearl Jam songs, so you get wines like "Crazy Mary" and "Dead Horse" but not onl are they great names but great wines as well! I ended up buying the Vincent Rose (have I mentioned a predilection for rosé I the heat?) the Dissident Red blend and the Dead Horse Cabernet.



Second stop was Forgeron, a great winery that produces nice Bordeaux style blends that I've been a fan of since my last trip to Walla Walla last May. Today I tasted a bunch of great wines, but ended up with some library wines including a couple bottles of the 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon, a 2007 Klipsun Merlot and a 2009 Anvil blend, so delicious that one!


Next I stopped in at joint tasting room of Mansion Creek Cellars and Plumb Cellars and who should be manning the tasting room but Michael Mettler, a marketing pro that I met as "Bradley Cooper's stunt double" when I was visiting the TERO tasting room the other day! After tasting some great wines I ended up with a bottle of the 2009 Waldheim Cabernet Sauvignon and a bottle of the 2010 Plumb Estate Sangiovese (which was my bargain of the day at only $18!).


Then I went to my last stop of the day, Fort Walla Walla Cellars where I met a load of fun people from the tri-cities and Bainbridge Island, but more on that in a future post! In any case I really loved the Treaty red, but ended up with a bottle of the 2008 Reserve, a great blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (66%), Merlot (14%), Cabernet Franc (9%), Malbec (6%) and Petit Verdot (5%). A really nice blend that reminded me of why I love Walla Walla wine! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment