Saturday, July 22, 2017

2014 Mark Ryan Winery "Dead Horse" Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Saturday!  Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, but last week I had a big travel week, hitting 5 cities on the west coast in 5 days, and unlike most work trips where I like to relax with a nice dinner after a long day, last week most of my dinners were at airports!  So tonight I am looking forward to a nice dinner at home with a great bottle of wine, and I have just such a bottle tonight, the 2014 Mark Ryan Winery "Dead Horse" Cabernet Sauvignon, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (85%), Merlot (10%), Cabernet Franc (4%) and Petit Verdot (1%) from the Ciel du Cheval, Klipsun, Obelisco and Quintessence Vineyards in the Red Mountain AVA in Washington.  I have been a big fan of Mark Ryan since I visited the Walla Walla tasting room back in 2013, but since joining their wine club, I've been somewhat hesitant to open the wines since they pack them so nicely in wood cases, but tonight I gave in!  So let's see how this wine stack up!


The wine is a lovely deep, inky purple color in the glass, just as you'd expect from a quality Cabernet.  The nose is classic Cabernet, with notes of black cherry, cassis, graphite and leather.  The taste is classic Washington Cabernet, with a more old world style, smooth, voluptuous and elegantly styled making this about as smooth a Cabernet as I've ever had.  The tannins are soft and well integrated, to support the long, dry finish that's so smooth, you can't bring yourself to put down your glass!  I have theater tickets after dinner tonight, and I'm going to have a hard time not finishing this bottle before I leave!

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9.5, as it's one of the best Cabernets I've had in a long time, and a classic example of how Washington does the varietal.  This wine would be great with big steaks, but it's versatile enough to pair with a wide variety of dishes, from a light salad, to wild mushroom risotto to grilled salmon.  Tonight, I am fortunate to be enjoying this with a rare grilled prime T-bone, with grilled leeks and asparagus, a perfect summer dinner.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment