Saturday, July 1, 2017

2007 Seven Hills Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy 4th of July Weekend!  I know it's only the 1st, but it's also the first Saturday of the new month, which means it's Cellar Saturday, that magical day when I open a bottle that's been in the cellar for a while.  This month's selection came about by happenstance, as I was on the phone with Julie Titus from Seven Hills last weekend, looking all over my house for some 2014 Pentad that I ordered (yes, I found it!) but as we were looking I came across tonight's selection and Julie suggested that I open it, so here we have it, the 2007 Seven Hills Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!


The wine is a deep, inky purple color in the glass, classic Cabernet.  The nose is a blast of leather, ripe berries and some earthy notes that remind me of the smell of the Seven Hills barrel room in Walla Walla!  The taste is just marvelous, with a rush of ripe blackberry, black cherry and currant overlaid with some smoky oak notes.  The fruit transitions to some wonderful mineral notes overlaid with dry herbs and a hint of mint midpalate.  The tannins are still firm but well integrated, providing a wonderful base for the long, smooth and very dry finish.

Julie mentioned she thought this wine wouldn't be getting any better, and I agree in the sense that it couldn't have been much better than this!  This wine is really singing at this point, perfect for sipping on the patio or enjoying with a big steak.  Which of course is a good thing, since I am enjoying this wine with a rare grilled USDA Prime T-bone with grilled elephant garlic scapes, grilled orange cauliflower and a big baked potato with sour cream and chives.  This wine is a perfect big prime steak wine, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment