Sunday, August 21, 2016

2013 Seven Hills Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon

Happy Sunday!  I  got a few things done today, including mowing the lawn and doing a load of laundry, so now I'm ready to relax a bit.  I've decided to treat myself today and open a nice bottle of 2013 Seven Hills Walla Walla Cabernet Sauvignon. Now I remember tasting this at the winery last year (I think?) and it was pretty good, so let's see how it is now!


The wine is a deep, inky purple at the center with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents aromas of blackberry, blueberry and plum accented by some leather and graphite with just a hint of lavender.  The taste is classic Walla Walla cabernet, with a blast of ripe black fruit up front that transitions to some wonderful notes of dark chocolate and blueberry midpalate.  There is a good bit of limestone minerality on the finish, as the wonderfully structured tannins provide for the long, smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 9, as it's a favorite wine from one of my favorite producers in one of my favorite regions.  This wine would be ideal with hearty meat dishes or southern Italian dishes.  Tonight, I am enjoying this wine with a classic Midwest summer dinner of a rare grilled Angus bone-in ribeye, along with some grilled sweet corn (I bought yesterday from a farmer in Beecher, Illinois) and some grilled Brussels sprouts.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment