Tuesday, August 23, 2016

2011 Alamos Malbec Seleccion

Happy Tuesday!  Today I had a most pleasant surprise when I arrived at the office, as my boss left me a case of wine!  Now granted it was his "reject" wines, various bottles that he's purchased and didn't really like, so I will happily be his waste bin!  Tonight I've opened one of the bottles he gave me, the 2011 Alamos Malbec Seleccion, a 100% Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina, so let's see how this reject wine does!


The wine has a classic Malbec look, with a deep inky center and bright ruby along the edges.  The nose presents pleasant aromas of black plum and accents of leather and tar.  The taste is a rather subdued Argentine Malbec with just a bit if black fruit up front that transitions to some earthy mineral notes midpalate, only to have a reprise of ripe black fruit at the finish.  The wine expresses some bright acidity and relatively mellow tannins supporting a long, smooth, dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's a pleasant drinking wine that would be ideal for a hearty steak.  And it just so happens I have one of those lying around, so tonight I'm enjoying this wine with a rare grilled filet mignon with some grilled corn and steamed sugar snap peas that I picked up at a farmers market last week.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment