Sunday, March 6, 2016

2013 Anvil Columbia Valley Chardonnay

Ok wine peeps, it's Sunday, time for a wonderful classic Sunday dinner, and given my menu this evening I've decided to go rogue!  Yes, not only am I reviewing a non-red wine, I'm reviewing a Chardonnay!  Well, even though it seems that this varietal has become pretty boring over the past decade or so, tonight's wine is anything but, as it's a special wine in many ways.  First, it was produced by one of the best Chardonnay producers in Walla Walla, Marie-Eve Gilla, founder of Forgeron Cellars, and in this case it was a bottle signed by her that was available this past Christmas (how fun!).  Second, it was sourced from the French Creek Vineyard, one of Washington's oldest Chardonnay vineyards, planted in 1981.  So this should be a treat even for the non-Chardonnay lovers among us!


The wine is a light gold color in the glass, while the nose presents aromas of fresh citrus, peach, green grass and floral notes.  The taste is quite unusual for a white wine, it has some lovely citrus fruit notes on the outset, but then there is a hearty mineral quality or iron and basalt that brings strength and rounded mouthfeel midpalate.  The dry finish brings a reprise of citrus and a hint of butter and smoke that just makes you want another sip.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8, as it's just a wonderfully executed example of the varietal, and one that even a red wine fan like me can enjoy!  Tonight I am enjoying this wine with a classic Sunday dinner of oven roasted chicken with corn bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy and of course, green bean casserole!  This is a perfect wine for such a heady feast, almost makes me wish I had a bottle last Thanksgiving!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment