Sunday, January 31, 2016

2013 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon

Well, it's Sunday, time for me to explore the culinary world for Sunday dinner and of course find new and interesting wines to try.  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2013 Justin Cabernet Sauvignon from Paso Robles.  For a little background, I was introduced to this winery on the Napa Valley Wine Train interestingly enough, as the two couples sitting across from me on the train brought a bottle of 2012 Justin Isosceles on board and they were kind enough to share a glass with me.  I really enjoyed it, so when I was at my local supermarket yesterday and saw the Justin Cabernet on sale, I just had to try it!


The wine has a classic Cabernet look, with dark, inky color at the centers with bright ruby along the edges.  The nose exhibits aromas of black cherry, oak and leather, just what you'd expect from a really good Cab.  The taste is delightful, with a blast of dark fruit up front, black cherry and plum that transition smoothly to some lovely black pepper spice notes along with some limestone midpalate.  The finish is just lovely, with well structured tannins supporting a velvety smooth and exceptionally dry finish.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 8.5, as it tastes like is could easily be a $50 Cabernet, but I bought it yesterday for just under $22!  And tonight I've decided to enjoy this wine with a decidedly uncharacteristic Sunday dinner to pair with a big Cab, but I do it because I can!  So tonight I am enjoying this wine with some grilled teriyaki chicken breast served with blood orange infused jasmine rice and steamed organic rainbow carrots.  Something about teriyaki always makes it good with a big bold red.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment