Tuesday, September 1, 2015

2014 DaMa Wines Rose of Cabernet Franc

Well now that I've completed all my posts about my fabulous Walla Walla road trip, we will be treated with reviews of the many great wines I brought back from the trip!  First up, as summer seems to be winding down much faster than I'd prefer, I thought I'd enjoy a bottle of rose, particularly since this hot and humid summer has really been the "Summer of Rose!"  Tonight I've opened a bottle of 2014 DaMa Wines Rose of Cabernet Franc that I picked up in the tasting room a week or so ago.


The color on this wine is exceedingly pale, a quick glance and you might actually mistake it for a white wine, but rest assured it's all rose.  The nose presents lovely aromas of strawberries, honeydew and crisp citrus notes, ideal for a summer on the patio.  The taste is a rush of floral, melon and citrus, that takes a bit of a break for some nice mineral notes midpalate.  Surprisingly, the finish recounts some lovely sweet strawberry notes that cap off this beautiful glass of summer.

Overall, I would rate this wine a solid 7.5, simply because it's not quite as dry as I prefer, particularly on the finish.  Tonight I am enjoying this with a classic Pacific Northwest dinner of wild Alaskan Coho salmon filet grilled on a northern white cedar plank, with some steamed wild rice and fresh picked green beans.  The fruit and acidity of this wine make it a perfect foil to the richness of the salmon, and I have to mention that white cedar imparts very different flavors to the fish than your normal red cedar, which go perfectly with this wine!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment